.the glenrothes - select reserve

For some reason, I have never come to it to start making tasting-notes of the Glenrothes whiskies. I have had some, some I liked and some I liked a little bit less, but there must never have been one that stood out amongst the whisky-crowd to me to sit down with and have a good look into its soul. This is my start to try and change that, and what better start than their entry-level, non-age-statement, non-vintage whisky - the Select Reserve. Widely available for a reasonable price.

43% abv, €35, single malt

Nose: sweet, fruit, apples, pears, fresh oranges, dried fruits, citrus, oranges, zest, spices, cinnamon, star-anise
Palate: spicy, fruit, red fruit, slight unripe berries, gooseberries, citrus, oranges, coconut,
Finish: warming, relatively short, semi-dry, spicy, cinnamon, anise,  coconut
Mark: +++/++ 

Conclusion: I (generally with the Glenrothes) get an overall layer on sulphur, but time and the help of a tiny drop of water releases citrus and coconut notes that help dissipate the sulphur completely. A lovely start of a new (to me) exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.