.the balvenie - 21yo - portwood - 2008 bottling

Some time ago, I have tasted a 21yo Portwood with a friend. I was not really flabbergasted about it, and had another go at several other moments. Never was I impressed enough to purchase a bottle, but there is always a mythical aura around the expression, to get me triggered to try it again. On a tour at the distillery, I had another chance and decided to take it home with me, because I was the designated driver...

40% abv, €125, single malt, non-chill filtered, natural colour

Nose: sweet, dry, artificial sweetener, fruit, red fruit, berries, floral, roses, a hint of wood, liquorice, leather
Palate: gentle, sweet, honey, ripe fruit, warm apple sauce, red berries, raspberries, cherries, spicy, white pepper, liquorice, dry
Finish: firm, sweet, fruit, ripe cherries, liquorice water, dry, long
Mark: +++/++

Conclusion: Still not too impressed. I get the idea that I must try and find a stronger than 40% version of this, because the result reflects to me as a bit 'weak'. Apparently, such version exists in the Duty Free market.

More info from the website: "To create The Balvenie PortWood Aged 21 Years, a marriage of rare Balvenie is transferred to port casks, or pipes, which have held fine port wines. Here it is sampled regularly by The Balvenie Malt Master to ensure that just the right amount of character is imparted by the port casks, enhancing and developing the single malt whilst preserving its original characteristics. 

In duty free The Balvenie PortWood Aged 21 Years is non chill-filtered and bottled at a higher strength of 47.6% abv."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.