.paul john - bold

A new addition to the range of the Indian whisky distiller Paul John. This is a heavily peated whisky created from Indian barley and Islay peat.  allegedly crafted from barley out of the kilns at the Port Ellen maltings on Islay. I stand corrected.

46% abv, €65, single malt, non-chill filtered, natural colour

Nose: artificial, plastic at first, after some time there is sweetness from honey accompanied by a hint of smoke. Citrus, oranges, orange peel, fresh cut grass, cardamom, a whiff of liquorice root
Palate: sweet, clover-honey, rye bread, a hint of smoke, liquorice, citrus, blood oranges, floral, rose petals, rather dry
Finish: medium long, sweet, liquorice root, quite harsh with a slight metallic linger
Mark: +++/++ 

Conclusion: clearly, this dram needs some time in the glass. Diving in immediately (as with so many other drams) does not help in its likeability and at my first try, I was not very impressed. After a week or so, I tried her again (when making this note), and came to the conclusion that I was quite sure I was drinking an Ardbeg of some sort (well done, that!). The faster maturation of the hot Indian climate has given the whisky a matured touch, but there is still something harsh present I often get from young whiskies. Which can be very nice.

More info: It is said that the barley used comes from the island of Islay, which almost immediately means it will have the same specifications as the Islay distilleries like Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg. This might be the reason of my earlier confusion. It appears I was quite wrong with my deduction. The only thing that comes from Islay, is the peat - something special in itself, since not even all Islay distilleries use Islay peat. The barley comes from Northern India, near the Himalayas. Thank you Krish for correcting me on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.