.the glenrothes - 16yo - old particular

I am not overly fond of the Glenrothes whiskies, mostly because most of them tent to give me rather extravagant sulphur notes. Some of the independent bottlers use their own casks, which seem to use an other policy regarding casks, which makes them a lot friendlier on the (my) nose and palate.

56.4% abv, €85
single malt, non-chill filtered, natural colour

Nose: sweet, marshmallows, fruity, apples, ripe juicy pears, a hint of sulphur, dried fruit, berries, figs, prunes - the works - but all quite gentle
Palate: sweet, creamy, fruity, dried fruit, figs, prunes, spicy, white pepper, quite hot, hints of cinnamon, rather dry, hints of sulphur and liquorice
Finish: dry, long, liquorice mints (Potter's), sweet, clover-honey
Mark: +++++ 

Conclusion: I am not big on most Glenrothes whiskies, because most of them I recognize from their specific sulphur notes. The sulphur is still there, but not omnipresent as with most of the Glenrothesses I know. 

More info: distilled in 1997, matured in a refill hogshead (#10458) for 16 years and bottled into 277 bottled in 2014.

1 comment:

  1. Vive la difference. While I also detected a mild sulphur note in this whisky, I tend to enjoy a hint of sulphur when accompanied with dark fruits. I scored this whisky 81.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.